What is worker’s compensation insurance?

Workers’ compensation insurance is a state-mandated program that provides financial assistance to employees who suffer job-related injuries.

I’ve just been injured on the job — what’s the first thing I should do?

If you’ve been injured on the job, the first thing you should do is seek medical treatment, especially if your injury is particularly severe. After you’ve been treated, notify your employer as soon as possible.

What does workers’ compensation insurance cover?

Workers’ compensation insurance covers hospital bills and medical expenses. If you are unable to work following your job-related injury, workers’ compensation insurance may also cover disability payments, rehabilitation programs and job training.

When might I not be eligible for workers’ compensation insurance?

You may be ineligible for workers’ compensation insurance if your injury resulted from alcohol and/or drug use or if your injury was the result of a physical altercation with another individual. Injuries that occur outside of the workplace are not covered by workers’ compensation.

Can I sue my employer in court if I suffer a work-related injury?

Typically you are not allowed to sue your employer for their negligence. However, there are exceptions to this rule and there are certain occurrences where you can sue your employer or a third-party with civil litigation.

What role will a doctor’s report play in my workers’ compensation case?

Your doctor’s report will loom large when determining the extent of workers’ compensation benefits you’ll receive. This is why you should be very careful when answering her or his questions. If possible, seek legal counsel as soon as possible following a work-related injury.

Are work-related injuries common?

Absolutely. By some estimates, more than six million Americans suffer job-related injuries each and every year.

What are “occupational illnesses?”

Occupational illnesses occur when an employee becomes sick due to the nature of her or his occupational duties. For the purposes of filing a workers’ compensation claim, occupational illnesses must directly result from the employee’s work duties.

Do you also offer criminal defense assistance?

Yes! The Law Office of Michael L. Studd accepts a wide variety of felony cases, as well as those involving DUI, license suspension, drug crimes and expungement.

Do you offer free consultations?

Yes! The Law Office of Michael L. Studd offers free consultations to Pittsburgh residents with workers’ compensation cases.

The Law Office of Michael L. Studd offers comprehensive workers’ compensation and criminal defense representation to Pittsburgh clients. Call (412) 400-6157 to schedule an initial consultation with a reputable attorney — workers’ comp consultations are free!